Disney's animated hit Moana comes to DVD and Blu-Ray on March 7th and it's one you won't want to be without for your home collection!
This high spirited, entertaining movie is great for the whole family. It venters around a young girl with an adventurous spirit named Moana (voiced by Auli'i Cravalho) who is chosen to take possession of the ancient stone of Te Fiti, a powerful symbol lost to the sea many years ago. But Moana's father (voiced by Temuera Morrison) deems her too young to venture beyond the shores. She loses the symbol, it seemingly returning to its watery resting place. As the years pass, Moana matures and still yearns to escape the island's confines. And her father still rejects the notion. But her grandmother Tala (voiced by Rachel House) encourages her dreams, teaches her of her land's and people's true history, and sets her off on an adventure to return the stone, which she has kept hidden for years, to its rightful owner. Along the way, Moana meets Maui (voiced by Dwayne Johnson), an ancient demigod warrior, and eventually convinces him to aid her in her journey and the two embark on a dangerous quest that will lead them to the powerful dark monster, Te Kā.
The DVD and Blu Ray editions of MOANA are loaded with special features:
Moana contains two short films, some technical behind-the-scenes features, deleted scenes, a commentary track, and more. A DVD copy of the film and a Disney digital copy voucher are included with purchase.
- Theatrical Short Film: Inner Workings (1080p, DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1): The filmmakers discuss their short (0:48), and the film follows (6:26). The movie is a fun and interesting take on life and daily routine.
- Maui Mini-Movie: Gone Fishing (1080p, Dolby Digital 2.0, 2:29): Maui finds catching his meal a little harder than anticipated.
- Voice of the Islands (1080p, 31:13): The filmmakers discuss how their trip to the Pacific Islands changed them and their approach to the film. The piece explores the area's geography, history, culture, the inhabitants' outlook on life, and much, much more. The piece weaves together what becomes a documentary on life and the people in the region which ties back into the film rather than looking at the film first and the people second. This is a piece that's suitable for the classroom.
- Things You Didn't Know About... (1080p): A two-part feature.
- Ron, John, Auli'i & Dwayne (2:02): The film's directors and primary voice actors share some fun facts: favorite foods, the day's breakfast, sleep habits, and more.
- Mark, Opetaia, & Lin-Manuel (1:57): The film's musicians answer some rapid-fire questions: what's for breakfast, fun facts, favorite Disney theme park ride, sleeping habits, and a what-if question.
- Island Fashion (1080p, 5:13): Neysa Bové discusses the challenges and specifics of costuming the characters.
- The Elements Of... (1080p): A four-part feature.
- Mini-Maui (3:34): The filmmakers discuss making one of the film's smaller stars.
- Water (4:38): A discussion of the effects that created one of the film's key early moments and new technologies utilized to make more convincing digital water.
- Lava (2:56): The challenge of making one of the film's critical and unique characters.
- Hair (3:05): As the title suggests, this piece looks at digitally animated complex character hair. A whole lot more goes into it than one might imagine!
- They Know the Way: Making the Music of Moana (1080p, 12:37): An in-depth discussion of the film's music.
- Deleted Song: "Warrior Face" with Introduction by Songwriter Lin-Manuel Miranda (1080p, 3:41): The song is presented against basic animation.
- Fishing for Easter Eggs (1080p, 2:52): Auli'i Cravalho and Dwayne Johnson host a quick tour of some of the film's hidden secrets.
- Deleted Scenes (1080p, 25:56 total runtime): Grandmother's Warning/Legend of Maui; Canoe Race; Father, Daughter, Boat; Education of Moana; Discussing Moana's Future; Race the Wind/Ties That Bind; and Under the Sea. Included are optional introductions by Directors John Musker and Ron Clements.
- "How Far I'll Go" Performed by Alessia Cara (1080p, 3:04): A music video.
- "How Far I'll Go" Around the World (1080p, 2:44): The song seamlessly performed in multiple languages.
- Audio Commentary: Directors John Musker and Ron Clements discuss project origins, evolution, music, visual style, research, characters, performances, animation, and even an ex-Pittsburgh Steeler cameo. The track is thorough and enjoyable. Fans will find it to be of good value and worth the time.
Check out MY interview with the lovely and talented star of Moana, Auli'i Cravalho - I dare you not to smile throughout our entire chat. She was an absolute delight!!
MOANA BLU RAY- Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD Disney / Buena Vista | 2016 | 107 min | Rated PG | Mar 07, 2017